The cooler weather is a welcomed relief from the warm fall months. But roaches may be searching for shelter as the temperature drops! Here are four proven ways you can get rid of roaches this winter:
1. How to Get Rid of Roaches: Caulk Holes & Openings
Plumbing pipes and electrical wires are hidden within your walls, but they connect to fixtures and outlets you use every day. If roaches are within your walls, they will find these openings and enter your living space for food and water. Consider the following places to caulk the opening:
- Gas Lines (Stove)
- Sinks (Bathroom & Kitchen)
- Quarter Rounds
- Window Trim
We recommend using a silicone-based sealant, as it can last up to 20 years, roaches cannot chew through it, and it hardens quickly.
2.How to Get Rid of Roaches: Pinpoint Problem Areas
Bathrooms and kitchens are the two rooms that cockroaches gravitate to, but why? Roaches, like other pests, seek food and water to survive. If your bathroom faucet has a chronic drip or your kitchen stove always has grease on it, roaches will indeed find both. After pinpointing problem areas, decide how to combat the problem. Here are a few tips:
- Caulk openings near the sink, refrigerator, and oven.
- Fix leaks immediately.
- Sweep and mop every day.
- Take indoor garbage (tightly sealed) to the outdoor garbage can every night.
- Wipes countertops and stovetops after each meal.
- Fix leaks immediately (toilet, faucet, pipes, bathtub, or shower).
- Install a high-quality shower fan to remove moisture from the air.
- Sweep often.
3. How to Get Rid of Roaches: Maintain Your Outdoor Landscape
Ensure your outdoor vegetation is not touching your house, as that acts like a ladder for roaches and other pests that can slide under the siding and into your walls. Further, keep your gutters clean and don’t let leaf piles build up, as this will cause moisture to build up within your attic. Roaches will gravitate toward this moisture and make their home in the attic.
4. How to Get Rid of Roaches: Call National Exterminating
Implementing the above preventative measures and partnering with a professional exterminating company is the key to a roach-free home! Our team uses effective pest control methods and concoctions to kill present roaches and other frustrating pests. Gift yourself a pest-free home this holiday season.